Asthma in Children
Coughing is a typical symptom of asthma. If your child is 5-years-old or less, it is hard to tell if his/her cough is due to asthma or it’s just a cough which is quite common in children. Try considering how often your baby wheezes. One time wheezing does not pose any threat that you diagnose it as asthma. Though, it is advisable to keep your child well until they are old enough to have the diagnosis confirmed.
Here are some signs to look out for that may make asthma more likely.
- Notice whether they cough at night or early in the morning
- The Cough doesn’t go completely or attacks any time
- They are getting cough attacks during a sport or after exercise
- If they experience wheezing, breathlessness or a tight chest/tummy ache
- If their cough is triggered by things such as crying, pollen, mold, dust mites, or being around pets.